45. L. H. Tostanoski and C. M. Jewell. "Engineering self-assembled materials to study and direct immune function" Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2017 (in press). doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2017.03.005 ***Featured as part of Immuno-Engineering special issue***
44. K. L. Hess, E. Oh, L. H. Tostanoski, J. I. Andorko, K. Susumu, J. R. Deschamps, I. L. Medintz, and C. M. Jewell. “Engineering Immunological Tolerance Using Quantum Dots to Tune the Density of Self-Antigen Display.” Advanced Functional Materials2017 (in press). doi: 10.1002/adfm.201700290 (front cover)
42. J. M. Gammon, E. A. Gosselin, L. H. Tostanoski, Y. Chiu, X. Zeng, Q. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Low-dose controlled release of mTOR inhibitors maintains T cell plasticity and promotes central memory T cells” Journal of Controlled Release2017. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2017.02.034 (in press). ***Featured as part of NanoDDS 2016 special issue***
41. P. Zhang, M. L. Bookstaver, and C. M. Jewell. "Engineering Cell Surfaces with Polyelectrolyte Materials for Translational Applications" Polymers 2017, 9, 40. doi: 10.3390/polym9020040.
40. K. L. Hess, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Polyplexes assembled from self-peptides and regulatory nucleic acids blunt toll-like receptor signaling to combat autoimmunity" Biomaterials 2017, 118, 51-62. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.11.052.
39. J. I. Andorko, K. G. Pineault, and C. M. Jewell. "Impact of Molecular Weight on the Intrinsic Immunogenic Activity of Poly(Beta Amino Esters)" Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2017,105, 1219-1229. doi:10.1002/jbm.a.35970.
38. Q. Zeng, J. M. Gammon, L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, and C. M. Jewell. "In vivo Expansion of Melanoma-specific T Cells using Microneedle Arrays Coated with Immune-Polyelectrolyte Multilayers" ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering2017, 5, 195-205.doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.6b00414. (cover) ***Featured on cover and highlighted in editorial (link)***
37. P. Zhang, J. I. Andorko, and C. M. Jewell. “Impact of Dose, Route, and Composition on the Immunogenicity of Immune Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Delivered on Gold Templates.” Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2017, 114, 423–431. doi: 10.1002/bit.26083. ***Featured as monthly Spotlight Article in Biotechnology and Bioengineering***
36. L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, J. I. Andorko, M. Guo, X. Zeng, P. Zhang, W. Royal III, and C. M. Jewell. “Design of Polyelectrolyte Multilayers to Promote Immunological Tolerance.” ACS Nano 2016, 10, 9334-9345. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.6b04001. ***Featured in American Chemical Society's C&E News online and in print*** ***Featured in Controlled Release Society newsletter*** 35. L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, T. Simon, J. I. Andorko, J. S. Bromberg, and C. M. Jewell. "Reprogramming the local lymph node microenvironment promotes tolerance that is systemic and antigen-specific." Cell Reports 2016, 16, 2940-2952. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.08.033. ***Featured on Cell Press Blog (Link)*** ***Featured in American Chemical Society Press Conference (link)***
34. Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. “Assembly and immunological processing of polyelectrolyte multilayers composed of antigens and adjuvants.” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2016, 8, 18722-18731. doi: 10.1021/acsami.6b06275.
33. J. I. Andorko*, J. M. Gammon*, L. H. Tostanoski, Q. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Targeted programming of the lymph node environment causes evolution of local and systemic immunity.” Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 2016, 9, 418-432. doi: 10.1007/s12195-016-0455-6. ***Featured as part of Young Innovators special issue***
32. L. H. Tostanoski, E. A. Gosselin, and C. M. Jewell. "Targeting and control of antigen presenting cells with biomaterials to promote tolerance and combat autoimmune disease." Discovery Medicine 2016 , 21, 403-410. Click for PDF File or web version.
31. J. M. Gammon, N. M. Dold, and C. M. Jewell. "Improving the clinical impact of biomaterials in cancer immunotherapy." Oncotarget 2016, 7, 15421-15443. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7304.
30. K. R. Chakrabarti*, J. I. Andorko*, R. A. Whipple, P. Zhang, E. L. Sooklal, S. M. Martin, and C. M. Jewell. "Lipid tethering of breast tumor cells enables real-time imaging of free-floating cell dynamics and drug response." Oncotarget 2016, 7, 10486-10497. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7251. (cover article) ***Featured on cover of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News (link)***
29. J. I. Andorko, K. L. Hess, K. G. Pineault, and C. M. Jewell. "Intrinsic immunogenicity of rapidly-degradable polymers evolves during degradation." Acta Biomaterialia2016, 32, 24-34. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2015.12.026.
28. Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Modular Vaccine Design Using Carrier-Free Capsules Assembled from Polyionic Immune Signals." ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering2015, 1, 1200-1205. doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.5b00375. (cover article)
27. P. Zhang, Y. C. Chiu, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Assembled Entirely from Immune Signals on Gold Nanoparticle Templates Promote Antigen-Specific T Cell Response." ACS Nano2015, 9, 6465–6477. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.5b02153.
26. J. M. Gammon, L. H. Tostanoski, A. R. Adapa, Y. C. Chiu, and C. M. Jewell. "Controlled delivery of a metabolic modulator promotes regulatory T cells and restrains autoimmunity." J Control Release2015, 210, 169-178. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2015.05.277.
25. J. I. Andorko, K. L. Hess, and C. M. Jewell. “Harnessing Biomaterials to Engineer the Lymph Node Microenvironment for Immunity or Tolerance.” AAPS Journal 2015, 17, 323-38. doi: 10.1208/s12248-014-9708-2.
24. J. I. Andorko*, L. H. Tostanoski*, E. Solano, M. Mukhamedova, and C. M. Jewell. “Intra-lymph node injection of biodegradable polymer particles.” J Vis Exp 2014, 83, doi: 10.3791/50984.
23. E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, D. Roenneburg, S. Bechler, J. Torrealba, T. Hacker, and D. M. Lynn. “Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Promote Stent-Mediated Delivery of DNA to Vascular Tissue." Biomacromolecules 2013, 14, 1696-1704. doi: 10.1021/bm4005222.
22. C. M. Metallo, P. Gameiro, E. Bell, K. Mattaini, J. Yang, K. Hiller, C. M. Jewell, Z. Johnson, D. J. Irvine, L. Guarente, J. K. Kelleher, M. G. Vander Heiden, O. Iliopoulos, and G. Stephanopoulos,“Reductive glutamine metabolism by IDH1 mediates lipogenesis under hypoxia.” Nature2012, 481, 380-384. doi: 10.1038/nature10602.
21. C. M. Jewell, S. C. Bustamante López, and D. J. Irvine, “In situ engineering of the lymph node microenvironment via intranodal injection of adjuvant-releasing polymer particles.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2011, 108, 15745-50. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1105200108.
20.C. M. Jewell*, J. Jung*, P. U. Atukorale, R. P. Carney, F. Stellacci, and D. J. Irvine, “Oligonucleotide delivery by cell-penetrating “striped” nanoparticles.” Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 12312-12315. doi: 10.1002/anie.201104514.
19. D. J. Irvine and C. M. Jewell, “Vaccine and Immunotherapy Delivery”, Comprehensive Biomaterials, Ed. P. Ducheyne, Elsevier Press, 2011, New York, NY (book chapter, ISBN: 978-0-08-055294-1).
18. R. M. Flessner, C. M. Jewell, D. G. Anderson, and D. M. Lynn, “Degradable Polyelectrolyte Multilayers that Promote the Release of siRNA.” Langmuir2011, 27, 7868-7876. doi: 10.1021/la200815t.
17. A. S. Breitbach, A.H. Broderick, C. M. Jewell, S. Gunasekaran, Q. Lin, D. M. Lynn, and H. E. Blackwell, “Surface-mediated release of a synthetic small-molecule modulator of bacterial quorum sensing: Gradual release enhances activity.” Chemical Communications2011, 47, 370-372. doi: 10.1039/C0CC02316G.
16. B. Sun, R. M. Flessner, E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, N. J. Fredin, and D. M. Lynn, “Characterization of pH-induced changes in the morphology of polyelectrolyte multilayers assembled from poly(allylamine) and low molecular weight poly(acrylic acid).” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2011, 355, 431-441. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2010.12.019.
15. N. J. Fredin, R. M. Flessner, C. M. Jewell, S. L. Bechler, M. E. Buck, and D. M. Lynn, “Characterization of nanoscale transformations in polyelectrolyte multilayers fabricated from plasmid DNA using laser scanning confocal microscopy in combination with atomic force microscopy.” Microscopy Research and Technique2010, 73, 834-844. doi: 10.1002/jemt.20830.
14. E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, J. M. Kuchenreuther, D. M. Lynn, “Assembly of Erodible, DNA-Containing Thin Films on the Surfaces of Polymer Microparticles: Toward a Layer-by-Layer Approach to the Delivery of DNA to Antigen-Presenting Cells.” Acta Biomaterialia2009, 5, 913-924. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2008.08.022.
13.C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hays, Y. Kondo, N. L. Abbott, and D. M. Lynn, “Chemical Activation of Lipoplexes Formed from DNA and a Redox-Active, Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipid.” Bioconjugate Chemistry 2008, 19, 2120-2128. doi: 10.1021/bc8002138.
12. C. M. Jewell and D. M. Lynn, “Surface-Mediated Delivery of DNA: Cationic Polymers Take Charge.” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science 2008, 13, 395-402. (review article). doi: 10.1016/j.cocis.2008.03.005.
11.C. M. Jewell and D. M. Lynn, “Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Assemblies as Platforms for the Delivery of DNA and Other Nucleic Acid-Based Therapeutics.” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews2008, 60, 979-999. doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2008.02.010.
10. C. L. Pizzey, C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hays, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, Y. Kondo, S. Golan, and Y. Talmon, “Characterization of the Nanostructure of Complexes formed by a Redox-Active Cationic Lipid and DNA.” Journal of Physical ChemistryB 2008, 112, 5849-5857. doi: 10.1021/jp7103903.
9. M. E. Hays, C. M. Jewell, Y. Kondo, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, “Lipoplexes Formed by DNA and Ferrocenyl Lipids: Effect of Lipid Oxidation State on Size, Internal Dynamics and Zeta-Potential.” Biophysical Journal2007, 93, 4414-4424. doi: 10.1529/biophysj.107.107094.
8. J. Zhang, S. I. Montañez, C. M. Jewell, D. M. Lynn “Multilayered Films Fabricated from Plasmid DNA and a Side-Chain Functionalized Poly(β-amino ester): Surface-Type Erosion and Sequential Release of Multiple Plasmid Constructs from Surfaces.” Langmuir2007, 23, 11139-11146. doi: 10.1021/la702021s.
7. B. Sun, C. M. Jewell, N. J. Fredin, D. M. Lynn, “Assembly of Multilayered Films Using Well-Defined, End-Labeled Poly(acrylic acid): Influence of Molecular Weight on Exponential Growth in a Synthetic Weak Polyelectrolyte System.” Langmuir2007, 23, 8452-8459. doi: 10.1021/la7010875.
6. M. E. Hays, C. M. Jewell, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, “Reversible Condensation of DNA using a Redox-Active Surfactant” Langmuir 2007, 23, 5609-5614. doi: 10.1021/la0700319.
5. C. M. Jewell*, S. M. Fuchs*, R. M. Flessner, R. T. Raines, D. M. Lynn, “Multilayered Films Fabricated from an Oligoarginine-Conjugated Protein Promote Efficient Surface-Mediated Protein Transduction.” Biomacromolecules 2007, 8, 857-863. doi: 10.1021/bm0609442.
4.C. M. Jewell, J. Zhang, N. J. Fredin, M. R. Wolff, T. A. Hacker, D. M. Lynn, “Release of Plasmid DNA from Intravascular Stents Coated with Ultrathin Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Films.” Biomacromolecules 2006, 7, 2483-2491. doi: 10.1021/bm0604808.
3. C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hayes, Y. Kondo, N. L. Abbott, D. M. Lynn, “Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipids for the Delivery of DNA: Oxidation State Determines Transfection Activity.” Journal of Controlled Release2006, 112, 129-138. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2006.01.014.
2. N. L. Abbott, C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hayes, Y. Kondo, D. M. Lynn,“Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipids: Influence of Redox States on Cell Transfection.” Journal of the American Chemical Society2005, 127, 11576-11577. doi: 10.1021/ja054038t.
1. C. M. Jewell, J. Zhang, N. J. Fredin, D.M. Lynn, “Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Films Promote the Direct and Localized Delivery of DNA to Cells.” Journal of Controlled Release2005, 106, 214-223. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2005.04.014.
Patents and Intellectual Property Filings
9. “Methods of Using Redox-Active Surfactants to Control Polymer Interactions.” N. L. Abbott, D. M. Lynn, Y. Kondo, C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hayes. U.S. Patent No. 9,592,300; Issued Mar. 14, 2017
8. “Reprogramming the Local Lymph Node Microenvironment Promotes Tolerance that is Systemic and Antigen Specific.” C. M. Jewell and L. H. Tostanoski. U.S. Patent Application No. 62/385,750. Filed September 9, 2016.
7. “Harnessing Quantum Dots to Study, Visualize, and Promote Immune Tolerance.” C. M. Jewell, K. L. Hess, and I. Medintz; U.S. Patent Application No. 62/324,251. Filed April 18, 2016.
6. “Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Assembled form Immune Signal Compounds.” C. M. Jewell, L. H. Tostanoski, Y. Chiu; Patent Application No. PCT/US16/18002. Filed February 16, 2016
5. “Materials and Methods for Assaying Living Cells.” S. S. Martin, C. M. Jewell, J. I. Andorko, E. L. Sooklal, R. Whipple Bettes, K. Chakrabarti; U.S. Patent Application No. 62/068034. Filed October 7, 2015.
4. “Materials and Methods for Assaying Living Cells.” S. S. Martin, C. M. Jewell, J. I. Andorko, E. L. Sooklal, R. Whipple Bettes, K. Chakrabarti; PCT application number US2015/054571. Filed October 7, 2015.
3. “Local Engineering of the Lymph Node Environment to Promote Immune Tolerance.” C. M. Jewell, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski; U.S. Patent Application No. 14/751772. Filed Jun. 26, 2015.
2. Multilayered Films Fabricated from an Oligoarginine-Conjugated Protein Promote Efficient Surface-Mediated Protein Transduction.” D. M. Lynn, R. T. Raines, C. M. Jewell, S. M. Fuchs, R. M. Flessner. U.S. Patent No. 8,834,918; Issued Sept. 16, 2014.
1. “Localized delivery of nucleic acid by polyelectrolyte assemblies” D. M. Lynn, J. Zhang, C. M. Jewell, N. J. Fredin. U.S. Patent No. 8,734,851; Issued May 27, 2014.