96.E. Froimchuk, R. S. Oakes, S. M. Kapnick, A. A. Yanes, and C. M. Jewell. “Biophysical properties of self-assembled immune signals impact signal processing and the nature of regulatory immune function” Nano Letters 2021. doi: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c05118. (in press)
95. L. Li, J. Wu, R. Abdi, C. M. Jewell, J. S. Bromberg. “Lymph node fibroblasts steer immune responses” Trends in Immunology 2021. (in press) 94.R. S. Oakes, L. H. Tostanoski, S. M. Kapnick, E. Froimchuk, S. K. Black, X. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Exploiting Rational Assembly to Map Distinct Roles of Regulatory Cues During Autoimmune Therapy” ACS Nano2021, 15, 4305-4320. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.0c07440
93.L. Yenkoidiok-Douti, C. Barillas-Mury, and C. M. Jewell. “Design of Dissolvable Microneedles for Delivery of a Pfs47-based Malaria Transmission-blocking Vaccine” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering2021.doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.0c01363. (in press). ***Invited article in special issue: Nanomedicine Advances in Infectious Disease***
92. *E. A. Gosselin, *M. Noshin, S. K. Black, C. M. Jewell. “Impact of Excipients on Stability of Polymer Microparticles for Autoimmune Therapy” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology2021, 8, 609577. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2020.609577 ***Invited article in special issue: Synthesis, Functionalization, and Clinical Translation of Pharm. Biomaterials***
91. L. Bhandary, P. C. Bailey, K. T. Chang, K. F. Underwood, C. J. Lee, R. A. Whipple, C. M. Jewell, E. Ory, K. N. Thompson, J. A. Ju, T. M. Mathias, S. J.P. Pratt, M. I. Vitolo, and S. S. Martin. “Lipid tethering of breast tumor cells reduces cell aggregation during mammosphere formation” Scientific Reports 2021, 11, 3214. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-81919-9
90. S. J. Tsai, A. Amerman, and C. M. Jewell “Altering antigen charge to control self-assembly and processing of immune signals during cancer vaccination” Frontiers in Immunology2021, 11, 613830. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2020.613830 ***Invited article in special issue: Employing Biomaterials to Further Basic Understanding of Immunobiology***
89.E. Froimchuk, S. T. Carey, C. Edwards, and C. M. Jewell. “Self-assembly as a molecular strategy to improve immunotherapy” Accounts of Chemical Research 2020, 53, 2534–2545. doi: 10.1021/acs.accounts.0c00438. ***Invited article in special issue on Chemistry in Cancer Immunotheranostics***
88.J. M. Gammon and C. M. Jewell. “Dendritic cell tracking and modulation" Nature Materials 2020. 19, 1134-1135. doi: 10.1038/s41563-020-00828-w ***Invited article to highlight emerging cancer immunotherapy technology***
87. S. J. Tsai, S. K. Black, and C. M. Jewell. “Leveraging the modularity of biomaterial carriers to tune immune responses” Advanced Functional Materials2020, 30, 2004119. doi: 10.1002/adfm.202004119 ***Invited article*** 86. P. Moghaddam-Taaheri, J. A. Leissa, H. B. Eppler, C. M. Jewell, and A. J. Karlsson. “Histatin 5 variant reduces Candida albicans biofilm viability and inhibits biofilm formation” Fungal Genetics and Biology 2021, 149, 103529. doi: 10.1016/j.fgb.2021.103529.
85. L. Yenkoidiok-Douti and C. M. Jewell “Integrating Biomaterials and Immunology to Improve Vaccines Against Infectious Diseases” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering 2020, 6, 759−778. doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.9b01255.
84. G. M. Lynn*, C. Sedlik*, F. Baharom, Y. Zhu, R. A. Ramirez-Valdez, V. L. Coble, K. Tobin, S. R. Nichols, Y. Itzkowitz, N. Zaidi, J. M. Gammon, S. M. McWhirter, C. O. Ndubaku, N. J. Blobel, J. Denizeau, P. de la Rochere, B. J. Francica, B. Decker, M. Maciejewski, J. Cheung, H. Yamane, M. G. Smelkinson, J. R. Francica, R. Laga, J. D. Bernstock, L. W. Seymour, C. G. Drake, C. M. Jewell, O. Lantz, E. Piaggio, A. S. Ishizuka, and R. A. Seder. “Peptide-TLR-7/8 agonist conjugate vaccines chemically programmed for nanoparticle self-assembly enhance CD8 T cell immunity to tumor neoantigens” Nature Biotechnology 2020, 38, 320-332. doi: 10.1038/s41587-019-0390-x.
83. J. A. Ju, J. L. Cornell, K. N. Thompson, Ory C. Eleanor, R. M. Lee, T. J. Mathias, S. J. P. Pratt, M. I. Vitolo, C. M. Jewell, S. S. Martin. "Partial thermal imidization of polyelectrolyte multilayer cell tethering surfaces (TetherChip) enables efficient cell capture and microtentacle fixation for circulating tumor cell analysis" Lab on a Chip 2020, 20, 2872-2888. doi: 10.1039/D0LC00207K.
82. K. L. Hess and C. M. Jewell, “Phage display as a tool for vaccine and immunotherapy” Bioengineering & Translational Medicine2020, 5, e10142. doi: 10.1002/btm2.10142. ***Invited article for special issue on Nanotechnology in Medicine***
81. H. B. Eppler and C. M. Jewell, “Biomaterials as tools to decode immunity” Advanced Materials 2019, 1903367. doi: 10.1002/adma.201903367 ***Invited article for special issue on Materials for Precision Medicine***
80. V. Saxena, L. Li, C. Paluskievicz, V. Kasinath, A. Bean, R. Abdi, C. M. Jewell, and J. S. Bromberg, “Role of Lymph Node Stroma and Microenvironment in T Cell Tolerance” Immunological Reviews2019, 292, 9-23. doi: 10.1111/imr.12799. ***Invited article***
79. C. M. Jewell and J. J. Gray, “Engineering immunity with quantitative tools” Molecular Systems Design & Engineering 2019, 4, 677-678. doi: 10.1039/c9me90024a. ***Editorial for special issue (Guest editors: Jewell and Gray)***
78. G. M. Lynn. R. Laga, and C. M. Jewell, “Induction of anti-cancer T cell immunity by in situ vaccination using systemically administered nanomedicines” Cancer Letters 2019, 459, 192-203. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2019.114427. ***Invited article for special issue on “Cancer Immunotherapy”***
77. K. L. Hess, I. L. Medintz, and C. M. Jewell, “Designing inorganic nanomaterials for vaccines and immunotherapies” NanoToday 2019, 27, 73-98. doi: 10.1016/j.nantod.2019.04.005. ***Invited article*** 76. T. Simon, L. Li, C. Wagner, T. Zhang, V. Saxena, C. Brinkman, L. Tostanoski, S. Ostrand-Rosenberg, C. M. Jewell, T. Shea-Donohue, K. Hippen, B. Blazar, R. Abdi, J. Bromberg, “Differential Regulation of T Cell Immunity and Tolerance by Stromal Laminin Expressed in the Lymph Node” Transplantation2019, 103, 2075–2089. doi: 10.1097/TP.0000000000002774.
75. C. M. Jewell and J. H. Collier. “Biomaterial interactions with the immune system” Biomaterials Science2019, 7, 713-714. doi: 10.1039/c8bm90063a. ***Editorial for special issue (Guest editors: Jewell and Collier)***
74. J. Cano-Mejia, M. L. Bookstaver, E. E. Sweeney, C. M. Jewell, R. Fernandes. "Prussian blue nanoparticles-based antigenicity and adjuvanticity trigger robust antitumor immune responses against neuroblastoma" Biomaterials Science2019, 7, 1875–1887. doi: 10.1039/c8bm01553h. ***Invited article for special issue on “Biomaterial Interactions with the Immune System***
73. R. S. Oakes, E. Froimchuk, and C. M. Jewell. “Engineering Biomaterials to Direct Innate Immunity” Advanced Therapeutics 2019, 2, 1800157. doi: 10.1002/adtp.201800157. ***Selected as 2019 Editor’s Choice article*** ***Invited article***
72. Q. Zeng and C. M. Jewell. “Directing toll-like receptor signaling in macrophages to enhance tumor immunotherapy” Current Opinion in Biotechnology2019, 60, 138-145. doi: 10.1016/j.copbio.2019.01.010. ***Invited article for special issue on “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology”***
71. L. H. Tostanoski, H. B. Eppler, B. Xia, X. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Engineering release kinetics with polyelectrolyte multilayers to modulate TLR signalling and promote immune tolerance” Biomaterials Science 2019. 7, 798. doi: 10.1039/c8bm01572d. ***Invited article for special issue on “Biomaterial Interactions with the Immune System”***
70. J. M. Gammon and C. M. Jewell. “Engineering immune tolerance with biomaterials” Advanced Healthcare Materials2019, 8, 1801419. doi: 10.1002/adhm.201801419. ***Invited article for special issue on "Biointerfaces for Immunoengineering"***
69. R. S. Oakes and C. M. Jewell. "A plug-and-play approach for malaria vaccination" Nature Nanotechnology 2018, 13, 1096–1097. doi: 10.1038/s41565-018-0291-z. ***Invited article to highlight emerging malaria vaccine technology*** 68. S. J. Tsai, J. I. Andorko, X. Zeng, J. M. Gammon, and C. M. Jewell. “Polyplex interaction strength as a driver of potency during cancer immunotherapy” NanoReseach 2018, 11, 5642–5656. doi: 10.1007/s12274-018. ***Featured in award issue for Young Innovators in NanoBiotec***
67. M. L. Bookstaver, K. L. Hess, and C. M. Jewell. “Self-assembly of immune signals improves co-delivery to antigen presenting cells and accelerates signal internalization, processing kinetics, and immune activation” Small2018, 14, 1802202. doi: 10.1002/smll.201802202. ***Featured in Advanced Science News***
66. C. E. Chandler, E. M. Harberts, T. Laemmermann, Q. Zeng, B. N. Opene, R. N. Germain, C. M. Jewell, A. J. Scott, R. K. Ernst. “In vivo intradermal delivery of bacteria using microneedle arrays” Infection and Immunity 2018, 86, e00406-18. doi: 10.1128/IAI.00406-18.
65. E. A. Gosselin, H. B. Eppler, J. S. Bromberg, and C. M. Jewell. "Designing natural and synthetic immune tissues”. Nature Materials2018, 17, 484–498. doi: 10.1038/s41563-018-0077-6. ***Featured on cover of Nature Materials*** ***Featured in Nature Outlook on Vaccines***
64. H. Wang, P. Agarwal, G. Zhao, G. Ji, C. M. Jewell, J. P. Fisher, X. Lu, X. He. "Overcoming Ovarian Cancer Drug Resistance with a Cold Responsive Nanomaterial". ACS Central Science 2018, 4, 567–581. doi: 10.1021/acscentsci.8b00050.
63.C. M. Jewell and F. Caruso, “Bioconjugate materials in vaccines and immunotherapies”. Bioconjugate Chemistry2018, 29, 571. doi: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.8b00134. ***Frontspiece for special issue (Guest editors: Chris Jewell and Frank Caruso)***
62. N. Dold, Q. Zeng, X. Zeng, C. M. Jewell. “A poly(beta-amino ester) activates macrophages independent of NF-𝛋B signaling” Acta Biomaterialia2018, 68, 168-177. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2017.12.040.
61. Q. Zeng, P. Zhang, X. Zeng, L. H. Tostanoski, C. M. Jewell, “Advanced manufacturing of microdisk vaccines for uniform control of material properties and immune cell function” Biomaterials Science 2018, 6, 115-124. doi: 10.1039/C7BM00520B. ***Featured on back cover of Biomaterial Science*** ***Featured on Biomaterials Science Focus blog***
60. M. L Bookstaver, S. J. Tsai, J. S. Bromberg, and C. M. Jewell, “Improving vaccine and immunotherapy design using biomaterials” Trends in Immunology2018, 2, 135-150. doi: 10.1016/j.it.2017.10.002. ***Featured in Cell Press press release*** ***Featured in Genetic Engineering Biotechnology News***
59. N. A. O’Neill, H. B. Eppler, C. M. Jewell, J. S. Bromberg, “Harnessing the Lymph Node Microenvironment” Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation 2018, 23, 73-82. doi:10.1097/MOT.0000000000000488.
57. E. C. Ory, D. Chen, K. R. Chakrabarti, P. Zhang, J. I. Andorko, C. M. Jewell, W. Losert, S. S. Martin, "Extracting microtentacle dynamics of tumor cells in a nonadherent environment" Oncotarget 2017, 8, 111567-111580. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.22874. 56.C. M. Jewell. “Getting in touch with your inner stomach” Science Translational Medicine 2017, 9, 415. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aaq1229.
55. N. M. Dold and C. M. Jewell. “A Materials Approach to Vaccines as Therapies” CEP Magazine (AICHE) October 2017, 32-39. link ***Invited article for Society for Biological Engineering Special Supplement***
54. Zaharoff D. and C. M. Jewell. “Strategic Directions in Immunoresponsive Biomaterials in Tissue Engineering” Tissue Engineering Part A2017, 23, 1042-1043. doi: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2017.0395. ***Frontspiece for special issue on immunoresponsive materials (Guest editors: Jewell and Zaharoff)***
50. J. M. Gammon*, A. R. Adapa*, and C. M. Jewell. “Control of autoimmune inflammation using liposomes to deliver positive allosteric modulators of metabotropic glutamate receptors” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2017, 105, 2977-2985. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.36151. 49.C. M. Jewell. “Nanomedicine goes to school” Science Translational Medicine2017, 9, 391. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aan4291.
48. J. I. Andorko and C. M. Jewell. “Designing biomaterials with immunomodulatory properties for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine” Bioengineering & Translational Medicine2017, 2, 139-155. doi: 10.1002/btm2.10063. ***Featured in Special Issue for inaugural Translational Medicine & Bioengineering Conference***
47. E. A. Gosselin, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Controlled release of second generation mTOR inhibitors to restrain inflammation in primary immune cells" The AAPS Journal 2017, 19, 1175-1180. doi: 10.1208/s12248-017-0089-1.
45. L. H. Tostanoski and C. M. Jewell. "Engineering self-assembled materials to study and direct immune function" Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2017, 114, 60-78. doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2017.03.005. ***Featured as part of Immuno-Engineering special issue***
44. K. L. Hess, E. Oh, L. H. Tostanoski, J. I. Andorko, K. Susumu, J. R. Deschamps, I. L. Medintz, and C. M. Jewell. “Engineering Immunological Tolerance Using Quantum Dots to Tune the Density of Self-Antigen Display.” Advanced Functional Materials2017, 27, 1700290. doi: 10.1002/adfm.201700290 (front cover). ***Featured on front cover of Advanced Functional Materials*** ***Featured in Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News Sounds of Science Podcast ***Featured on front cover of Transplantation***
42. J. M. Gammon, E. A. Gosselin, L. H. Tostanoski, Y. Chiu, X. Zeng, Q. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Low-dose controlled release of mTOR inhibitors maintains T cell plasticity and promotes central memory T cells” Journal of Controlled Release2017, 263, 151-161. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2017.02.034. ***Featured as part of NanoDDS 2016 special issue***
41. P. Zhang, M. L. Bookstaver, and C. M. Jewell. "Engineering Cell Surfaces with Polyelectrolyte Materials for Translational Applications" Polymers 2017, 9, 40. doi: 10.3390/polym9020040. ***Featured in special issue on polyelectrolytes***
40. K. L. Hess, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Polyplexes assembled from self-peptides and regulatory nucleic acids blunt toll-like receptor signaling to combat autoimmunity" Biomaterials 2017, 118, 51-62. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.11.052.
39. J. I. Andorko, K. G. Pineault, and C. M. Jewell. "Impact of Molecular Weight on the Intrinsic Immunogenic Activity of Poly(Beta Amino Esters)" Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2017,105, 1219-1229. doi:10.1002/jbm.a.35970.
38. Q. Zeng, J. M. Gammon, L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, and C. M. Jewell. "In vivo Expansion of Melanoma-specific T Cells using Microneedle Arrays Coated with Immune-Polyelectrolyte Multilayers" ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering2017, 5, 195-205.doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.6b00414. (cover) ***Featured on cover and highlighted in editorial (link)***
37. P. Zhang, J. I. Andorko, and C. M. Jewell. “Impact of Dose, Route, and Composition on the Immunogenicity of Immune Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Delivered on Gold Templates.” Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2017, 114, 423–431. doi: 10.1002/bit.26083. ***Featured as monthly Spotlight Article in Biotechnology and Bioengineering***
36. L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, J. I. Andorko, M. Guo, X. Zeng, P. Zhang, W. Royal III, and C. M. Jewell. “Design of Polyelectrolyte Multilayers to Promote Immunological Tolerance.” ACS Nano 2016, 10, 9334-9345. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.6b04001. ***Featured in American Chemical Society's C&E News online and in print*** ***Featured in Controlled Release Society newsletter*** 35. L. H. Tostanoski, Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, T. Simon, J. I. Andorko, J. S. Bromberg, and C. M. Jewell. "Reprogramming the local lymph node microenvironment promotes tolerance that is systemic and antigen-specific." Cell Reports 2016, 16, 2940-2952. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.08.033. ***Featured on Cell Press Blog (Link)*** ***Featured in American Chemical Society Press Conference (link)***
34. Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. “Assembly and immunological processing of polyelectrolyte multilayers composed of antigens and adjuvants.” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2016, 8, 18722-18731. doi: 10.1021/acsami.6b06275.
33. J. I. Andorko*, J. M. Gammon*, L. H. Tostanoski, Q. Zeng, and C. M. Jewell. “Targeted programming of the lymph node environment causes evolution of local and systemic immunity.” Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 2016, 9, 418-432. doi: 10.1007/s12195-016-0455-6. ***Selected for 2017 Editor’s Choice Award*** ***Featured as part of Young Innovators special issue***
32. L. H. Tostanoski, E. A. Gosselin, and C. M. Jewell. "Engineering Tolerance Using Biomaterials to Target and Control Antigen Presenting Cells." Discovery Medicine 2016 , 21, 403-410. Click for PDF File or web version.
31. J. M. Gammon, N. M. Dold, and C. M. Jewell. "Improving the clinical impact of biomaterials in cancer immunotherapy." Oncotarget 2016, 7, 15421-15443. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7304.
30. K. R. Chakrabarti*, J. I. Andorko*, R. A. Whipple, P. Zhang, E. L. Sooklal, S. M. Martin, and C. M. Jewell. "Lipid tethering of breast tumor cells enables real-time imaging of free-floating cell dynamics and drug response." Oncotarget 2016, 7, 10486-10497. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7251. (cover article) ***Featured on front cover of Oncotarget*** ***Featured on front cover of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News (link)***
29. J. I. Andorko, K. L. Hess, K. G. Pineault, and C. M. Jewell. "Intrinsic immunogenicity of rapidly-degradable polymers evolves during degradation." Acta Biomaterialia2016, 32, 24-34. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2015.12.026.
28. Y. C. Chiu, J. M. Gammon, J. I. Andorko, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Modular Vaccine Design Using Carrier-Free Capsules Assembled from Polyionic Immune Signals." ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering2015, 1, 1200-1205. doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.5b00375. (cover article) ***Featured on front cover of ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering*** ***One of the top 10 most accessed articles of 2016 for the journal***
27. P. Zhang, Y. C. Chiu, L. H. Tostanoski, and C. M. Jewell. "Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Assembled Entirely from Immune Signals on Gold Nanoparticle Templates Promote Antigen-Specific T Cell Response." ACS Nano2015, 9, 6465–6477. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.5b02153.
26. J. M. Gammon, L. H. Tostanoski, A. R. Adapa, Y. C. Chiu, and C. M. Jewell. "Controlled delivery of a metabolic modulator promotes regulatory T cells and restrains autoimmunity." J Control Release2015, 210, 169-178. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2015.05.277.
25. J. I. Andorko, K. L. Hess, and C. M. Jewell. “Harnessing Biomaterials to Engineer the Lymph Node Microenvironment for Immunity or Tolerance.” AAPS Journal 2015, 17, 323-38. doi: 10.1208/s12248-014-9708-2. ***Featured in special issue on immune engineering***
24. J. I. Andorko*, L. H. Tostanoski*, E. Solano, M. Mukhamedova, and C. M. Jewell. “Intra-lymph node injection of biodegradable polymer particles.” J Vis Exp 2014, 83, doi: 10.3791/50984.
23. E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, D. Roenneburg, S. Bechler, J. Torrealba, T. Hacker, and D. M. Lynn. “Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Promote Stent-Mediated Delivery of DNA to Vascular Tissue." Biomacromolecules 2013, 14, 1696-1704. doi: 10.1021/bm4005222.
22. C. M. Metallo, P. Gameiro, E. Bell, K. Mattaini, J. Yang, K. Hiller, C. M. Jewell, Z. Johnson, D. J. Irvine, L. Guarente, J. K. Kelleher, M. G. Vander Heiden, O. Iliopoulos, and G. Stephanopoulos,“Reductive glutamine metabolism by IDH1 mediates lipogenesis under hypoxia.” Nature2012, 481, 380-384. doi: 10.1038/nature10602.
21. C. M. Jewell, S. C. Bustamante López, and D. J. Irvine, “In situ engineering of the lymph node microenvironment via intranodal injection of adjuvant-releasing polymer particles.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2011, 108, 15745-50. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1105200108.
20.C. M. Jewell*, J. Jung*, P. U. Atukorale, R. P. Carney, F. Stellacci, and D. J. Irvine, “Oligonucleotide delivery by cell-penetrating “striped” nanoparticles.” Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 12312-12315. doi: 10.1002/anie.201104514.
19. D. J. Irvine and C. M. Jewell, “Vaccine and Immunotherapy Delivery”, Comprehensive Biomaterials, Ed. P. Ducheyne, Elsevier Press, 2011, New York, NY (book chapter, ISBN: 978-0-08-055294-1).
18. R. M. Flessner, C. M. Jewell, D. G. Anderson, and D. M. Lynn, “Degradable Polyelectrolyte Multilayers that Promote the Release of siRNA.” Langmuir2011, 27, 7868-7876. doi: 10.1021/la200815t.
17. A. S. Breitbach, A.H. Broderick, C. M. Jewell, S. Gunasekaran, Q. Lin, D. M. Lynn, and H. E. Blackwell, “Surface-mediated release of a synthetic small-molecule modulator of bacterial quorum sensing: Gradual release enhances activity.” Chemical Communications2011, 47, 370-372. doi: 10.1039/C0CC02316G.
16. B. Sun, R. M. Flessner, E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, N. J. Fredin, and D. M. Lynn, “Characterization of pH-induced changes in the morphology of polyelectrolyte multilayers assembled from poly(allylamine) and low molecular weight poly(acrylic acid).” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2011, 355, 431-441. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2010.12.019.
15. N. J. Fredin, R. M. Flessner, C. M. Jewell, S. L. Bechler, M. E. Buck, and D. M. Lynn, “Characterization of nanoscale transformations in polyelectrolyte multilayers fabricated from plasmid DNA using laser scanning confocal microscopy in combination with atomic force microscopy.” Microscopy Research and Technique2010, 73, 834-844. doi: 10.1002/jemt.20830.
14. E. M. Saurer, C. M. Jewell, J. M. Kuchenreuther, D. M. Lynn, “Assembly of Erodible, DNA-Containing Thin Films on the Surfaces of Polymer Microparticles: Toward a Layer-by-Layer Approach to the Delivery of DNA to Antigen-Presenting Cells.” Acta Biomaterialia2009, 5, 913-924. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2008.08.022.
13.C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hays, Y. Kondo, N. L. Abbott, and D. M. Lynn, “Chemical Activation of Lipoplexes Formed from DNA and a Redox-Active, Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipid.” Bioconjugate Chemistry 2008, 19, 2120-2128. doi: 10.1021/bc8002138.
12. C. M. Jewell and D. M. Lynn, “Surface-Mediated Delivery of DNA: Cationic Polymers Take Charge.” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science 2008, 13, 395-402. (review article). doi: 10.1016/j.cocis.2008.03.005.
11.C. M. Jewell and D. M. Lynn, “Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Assemblies as Platforms for the Delivery of DNA and Other Nucleic Acid-Based Therapeutics.” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews2008, 60, 979-999. doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2008.02.010.
10. C. L. Pizzey, C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hays, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, Y. Kondo, S. Golan, and Y. Talmon, “Characterization of the Nanostructure of Complexes formed by a Redox-Active Cationic Lipid and DNA.” Journal of Physical ChemistryB 2008, 112, 5849-5857. doi: 10.1021/jp7103903.
9. M. E. Hays, C. M. Jewell, Y. Kondo, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, “Lipoplexes Formed by DNA and Ferrocenyl Lipids: Effect of Lipid Oxidation State on Size, Internal Dynamics and Zeta-Potential.” Biophysical Journal2007, 93, 4414-4424. doi: 10.1529/biophysj.107.107094.
8. J. Zhang, S. I. Montañez, C. M. Jewell, D. M. Lynn “Multilayered Films Fabricated from Plasmid DNA and a Side-Chain Functionalized Poly(β-amino ester): Surface-Type Erosion and Sequential Release of Multiple Plasmid Constructs from Surfaces.” Langmuir2007, 23, 11139-11146. doi: 10.1021/la702021s.
7. B. Sun, C. M. Jewell, N. J. Fredin, D. M. Lynn, “Assembly of Multilayered Films Using Well-Defined, End-Labeled Poly(acrylic acid): Influence of Molecular Weight on Exponential Growth in a Synthetic Weak Polyelectrolyte System.” Langmuir2007, 23, 8452-8459. doi: 10.1021/la7010875.
6. M. E. Hays, C. M. Jewell, D. M. Lynn, N. L. Abbott, “Reversible Condensation of DNA using a Redox-Active Surfactant” Langmuir 2007, 23, 5609-5614. doi: 10.1021/la0700319.
5. C. M. Jewell*, S. M. Fuchs*, R. M. Flessner, R. T. Raines, D. M. Lynn, “Multilayered Films Fabricated from an Oligoarginine-Conjugated Protein Promote Efficient Surface-Mediated Protein Transduction.” Biomacromolecules 2007, 8, 857-863. doi: 10.1021/bm0609442.
4.C. M. Jewell, J. Zhang, N. J. Fredin, M. R. Wolff, T. A. Hacker, D. M. Lynn, “Release of Plasmid DNA from Intravascular Stents Coated with Ultrathin Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Films.” Biomacromolecules 2006, 7, 2483-2491. doi: 10.1021/bm0604808.
3. C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hayes, Y. Kondo, N. L. Abbott, D. M. Lynn, “Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipids for the Delivery of DNA: Oxidation State Determines Transfection Activity.” Journal of Controlled Release2006, 112, 129-138. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2006.01.014.
2. N. L. Abbott, C. M. Jewell, M. E. Hayes, Y. Kondo, D. M. Lynn,“Ferrocene-Containing Cationic Lipids: Influence of Redox States on Cell Transfection.” Journal of the American Chemical Society2005, 127, 11576-11577. doi: 10.1021/ja054038t.
1. C. M. Jewell, J. Zhang, N. J. Fredin, D.M. Lynn, “Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Films Promote the Direct and Localized Delivery of DNA to Cells.” Journal of Controlled Release2005, 106, 214-223. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2005.04.014.